I’m not one for resolutions – I don’t make them, so I can’t break them. I do, however, keep a running home improvement to-do list in my head, and I figured getting it down on paper (or .php) might help me visualize the extent of the projects – and the reality of completing them in the next 11+ months.
So herewith are my 2009 home improvement goals, in room/area order (score on already achieving my first goal of writing it down):
- make a home improvement binder that includes measurements for each room, including windows, closets, floors, etc. Also include contact numbers for repairmen, hardware store, etc. (note: this is separate from my magazine ‘inspiration’ binder – alright, binders.)
- strategize about deck issue (ugh, long story)
- add post to top of driveway with better address signage
- mudroom – a place to sit/put on boots/store hats
- living room – couches?
- dining room – reupholster & reglue chairs
- dining room – table
- living room/loft – tv solution
- master – bed and mattress – no more sleeping on the floor!
- master – paint
- upstairs bath – sconces
- upstairs bath – solution for storing towels, etc.
- upstairs hall – clean and line drawers of dresser
- upstairs bedroom(s) – replace trim
- upstairs bedroom(s) – paint
- basement bedroom – bed
- basement bedroom – paint
- all bedrooms – update window treatments (IKEA?)
- water heater – wait for it to die? replace?
- gutters? repair?
- document improvements more regularly, and more professionally (my photos err on the blurry side)
You’ll note that many of these goals are simply furnishing rooms. It’s true; though we’ve had our place for almost a year, there are still rooms that are nearly empty. The hand-me-downs have been great – but they only took us so far. That, and, well, we’re looking forward to replacing some of the pieces we inherited with pieces we choose. That came out wrong – I love my inherited furniture. I just mean a girl can aspire to having actual dining chairs and table instead of folding chairs and folding table (remember: those Queen Anne chairs aren’t safe to sit in).
So I guess I’ll check back in around say…December to see how I did. Works done, right? I set my goals? Kudos to me and now all the above will simply fall into place?